Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Hoisted With Your Own Petard


The word hypocrisy comes from the Greek ὑπόκρισις (hypokrisis), which means "Jealous" "play-acting", "acting out", "coward" or "dissembling”.

By definition a hypocrite is:
(1) A person who engages in the same behaviors he condemns others for.
(2) A person who professes certain ideals, but fails to live up to them.
(3) A person who wants to appear bold but will not take ownership of things said or done whilst criticising others for what they perceive a being hypocrisy.
(4) A person who holds other people to higher standards than he holds himself.

A simple way to explain it would be:

Someone who hates it when people do certain things or talk shit about other people but they do it themselves.

Tracy: Omg, I hate it when people talk about others.
Karen: Right?... Oh Look here comes Lauren.
Lauren: Hey guys!
*walks toward Karen & Tracey*
Tracy & Karen: Hey Lauren!
Tracy: Oh, you look lovely today, Lauren...
Lauren: Thanks. Look, I gotta run. Sorry I can't stay and chat, it was nice seeing you.
*walks away*
Tracy: Bye.
Karen: See you around.
Tracy: *turns to Karen* Omg, did you see the dress that she's wearing? It makes her look like a whore!
Karen: *looking at Tracy with a blank stare* You are a fucking hypocrite.
*walks away*

A little less hypocrisy and a little more self-knowledge can only have good results in respect for our neighbour; for we are all too prone to transfer to our fellows the injustice and violence we inflict upon our own natures.

Jung, 1966: par. 28. NOT Radloff, 2012! 

Mea culpa, maxima culpa....it was most remiss of me - and it is true that I am far too dumb to actually write such a comprehensive sentence.
(thanks for reading my blog tho - I couldn't write without guidance.)

I was even more remiss than I had previously thought: I was given this instruction: " Next time you copy something straight from Wikipedia be sure to include the reference numb nuts!"

so, just to be accurate, I reference NUMB NUTS! 

In the end, it is hypocrites who are said to be "hoisted with their own petard".


No comments: